tips for webmasters
Here are some ways that webmasters can fight child pornography (CP), and help keep children from viewing adult material online:
PROTECT YOUR AFFILIATE PROGRAM
- Watch for low Trial to Full conversions from one affiliate account.
Affiliate programs in the online adult industry have provided some CP operators
with a convenient dodge. They target affiliate programs with a high PPS (pay per
signup), and instruct potential customers to join those paysites. Once the
customer's credit card has been approved, they email their new username and
password to the CP operator, who verifies the account and provides the actual
website, username and password for accessing the illegal material. The CP
operator receives the signup commission, and the legal paysite is unaware of the
BE CAREFUL LINKING TO PORTAL DOMAINS
- Be vigilant when linking to portal domains. Some URLs appear to contain
legal content, but when reloaded a few times display child pornography.
MONITOR LINKS ON TGP AND CJ SITES
- Use your own licensed images or exercise control over images posted by
webmasters. Circle Jerk (or CJ) sites are a method of filtering poor quality
traffic, but ASACP has received reports from both surfers and webmasters about
CJ sites with thumbnail images that appear to feature underage models. These are
used for shock value to generate click-throughs. Protecting your business means
making sure your images are legal and look legal.
PROTECT YOUR DOMAINS
- Domains can be hijacked and used for CP or other illegal purposes. Make sure
all your domains are secured with your registrar to minimize the risk of this
LABLE YOUR SITES AS "ADULT"
- An easy and effective method used to prevent minors from accessing adult
material is site labeling. Internet service providers, browsers, home filtering
software, and even operating systems offer parental controls. To make sure those
systems work, websites that are intended for adults only need to be clearly
labeled as such. For more information click HERE!
KEEP INTERNAL LINKS OFF SEARCH ENGINES
- Prevent search engine spiders from crawling and linking to all of your site pages and content instead of just the entry points. When this happens, minors can surf directly to adult content, bypassing any content warnings or age verification you may have in place. These direct links to adult content are also often shared in chat rooms and boards. Every search engine has procedures to control what pages should and should not be included in their listings. Following these procedures help keep children from viewing your adult content and help you control how adult consumers enter your site.